Friday, September 25, 2009

Repent Ye


For the Kingdom of Gaia is at hand.....
For those of you who thought our last post on enviro-religion a little extreme, you can now go to confession for your biggest enviro-sins.

"Water (over)usage is my biggest eco sin. And every time I soak in a hot bath after a long day at work, I swear it'll be my last."

Dr. Swift is tempted to go on:

I accuse myself of failure to turn off the tap while brushing my teeth.

I accuse myself of having more than two point five polluting infants.

I accuse myself of failure to digest my own waste....

The parade of pseudo sins is endless--at the same time, we're forgetting the real ones. That'd be what you call irony--I suppose displaced guilt has to go somewhere.


But fear not.


"(I know, I know, a green blog shouldn't be rewarding bad behavior, but perhaps confessing your sins is the first step to reform.) "


Please stand for the Creed.

Hat tip: Hanc Aquam.

5 comments:

Dani said...

I bathe in crude oil every evening. I then like to cook up about 6 whole chickens, eat one, and throw the rest away.

Dani said...

And...

My biggest eco sin is:

Voting republican while eating a double quarter pounder with cheese and having it served in the old school styrofoam container while wiping my bottom with pages from "earth in the balance," and having separate browser windows for ordering a small fleet of Hummer H2's and booking flights to indonesia to hunt rare and exotic species while the air conditioner is turned down to 25 degrees, and every light is on in the house while my 5 lcd tvs show different rugby games and oh yeah i forgot to compost.

Swift said...

Grave sins indeed!

:-)

I don't know where they find these people.

solatnz said...

Deut. 22:6 - That's an eco-sin, sin't it?

Swift said...

"If a bird's nest chance to be before thee in the way in any tree, or on the ground, whether they be young ones, or eggs, and the dam sitting upon the young, or upon the eggs, thou shalt not take the dam with the young"

Yes indeed, it is.

But it is predicated on a duty of stewardship from God, not a duty of stewardship instead of God.